If you have questions be sure to check out the Soldat Forums
The latest list of questions and solutions is available here:
List of common Bugs, Problems and Questions
(Based on true e-mails)
1. The game does not run! I get an error: cannot initialize 3d hardware, or something like that.
It's a hardware compatibility error:
- Make sure you have the latest DirectX drivers
- Try to run the game in window-mode
- Change the Windows desktop colors from 32-bit to 16-bit
- Try to change some Soldat Config settings (turn off Antialiasing, check 16-bit)
- Install the latest or different video drivers
- Try changing the windows desktop resolution and bit-rate
- Try turning down or up the graphics hardware acceleration (My Computer/Properties/Performance/Graphics)
- Try updating your motherboard drivers
- If you have Windows NT/2000 install the latest service pack
If you don't know how to do something from this list don't contact me. Contact me if you fixed your problem and tell me how you did it.
2. I run a server and nobody can join in.
Check if you have a Firewall (if so read about it in the manual, section Getting Started).
Check if people join on the right IP address and port.
There can be problems with Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing.
3. What does "Soldat" mean!?
"Soldat" or "Soldaat" means "soldier" in the following languages: german, dutch, norwegian, swedish, danish, french, slovenian, afrikaans, russian, catalan and romanian.
4. The game doesn't work. I get an error "bla bla d3d8.dll".
Install DirectX 8.1 drivers. If you have Windows 95 or NT 4.0 I don't think it will work.
5. I get an error "bla bla FMOD.dll". I have a sound card!
Its a video card error. The same as in question 1.
6. I play the game and I don't see anything. I just hear the sounds.
Turn on the monitor.
If it still doesn't work, its a hardware compatibility error. The same as in question 1.
7. Are you a god?
No, I just look like that.
8. I can't play because the terrain doesn't render and the whole screen blinks pink!
This problem occures when you have the DirectX drivers installed in Debug version. Reinstall them in Runtime mode.
9. I can't read the Manual cause I don't know how to read.
So you won't read this too.
10. Could you make a mod with fantasy elements (like mages, potions and magic)?
What the hell are you?
11. Can you give me the source code of Soldat?
12. I can't play Soldat! How do I run it!?
First turn on the computer.
13. Is there a dedicated server version for Linux?
Yes, check the download section.
14. When I pickup a bonus the screen turns black.
Check if you didn't accidently turn the monitor power off.
If not you probably have an old ATi card. Check Blank Screen while bonus fix in the Soldat Setup.
15. How can I mod the game?
It's not easy. You can just change the graphics, sounds and weapon names in Soldat\Txt\weaponnames.txt now. Remember that the weapons size must not be much larger than the original size.
16. I want to register Soldat but I don't have a credit card?
Well then find someone that has a Credit Card (your Parent's?), give him the money and he will pay for the game. There also are other payment method's including: PayPal and simple mail, check it out: Digital Candle Payment Options
You can't send me cash because the money will get lost on the way to me.
17. I get a message "Lobby server not responding..." when I click Request Servers and I can't get the servers list.
If your internet works then probably the lobby server isn't working. Please try again or try later. If the problem lasts longer use the alternative servers browser ASE (All Seeing Eye)
18. Will there be a client version for linux/mac?
No, I'm not planning this now. Please try to use emulators (like WineX).
19. The weapon in Soldat is Ak-74 it should be Ak-47!
20. Can I convert the Soldat music to MP3?
Yes, download ModPlug Tracker
Open the music files:
Soldat\Sfx\Modules\gore.it or Soldat\Sfx\Modules\necro.it
and save them as an MP3 file.
21. What programs did you use to make Soldat?
Soldat was entirely programmed in Borland Delphi 6. Graphics were made in Paint Shop Pro 7. Sound in Cool Edit 2000.
Details (like components) can be found in the Credits section in the Manual.
22.I have an old ATI Card and the graphics are messed up (no transparency, everything is not displayed)?
Open Soldat Setup and check "Blank screen while bonus fix". If that helps and now the video card is not able to draw the bullets download this fix for the bullets graphics (Weapons-Gfx.zip
) and extract it in the Soldat folder.
22. Are there any guitar Tabs for Soldat songs?
If you didn't find what you are looking for please visit the Soldat Forums
and check the FAQ section there. If that doesn't help please post your question in the proper forum.